Wednesday 11 July 2018

Sunshine, lollipops and a new blog post

Long-time no blog!  It is probably a little self-indulgent to say that I hope that I haven’t been missed – but I feel it is slightly justified given that lovely Hazel left a comment on my last post saying she missed my Meal Planning Mondays!  I promise to reintroduce them forthwith.  With regards the radio silence:
 
Reason the first – my digestive discomfort issues have been continuing.  I have always prided myself on the robustness of my digestive system and this has been unpleasant and disconcerting.  I finally plucked up the courage to go the GP and it is probably something very simple related to stomach bile (sorry if TMI) post gallbladder surgery.  It is not uncommon and can be controlled with medication.  So once anything more sinister is ruled out (and giving that all of this has only kicked off post surgery it seems highly unlikely) I will be rendered as right as rain by the wonder of our NHS.  Happy days.
 
Reason the second – which is related to reason the first.  Long term readers will know that, from time to time, I have a bit of an issue with anxiety.  Or rather, Anxiety, because anxiety is when you’re a little bit worried about a presentation that you have to do at work the following day and Anxiety is when you are frightened to leave your bedroom for reasons that are obscure even to you.  It’s frightfully common nowadays – the go-to mental health issue de nos jours, so I feel like something of a cliché but there you have it.  Fretting about my health and always trying to ensure the nearest toilet was within easy access in case of emergencies combined with my existing predisposition and made me…well, a bit shaky.  I don’t want to dwell on this too much – if it’s boring and tedious to me then it is undoubtedly boring and tedious to you.  Needless to say, fasting went by the wayside (low blood sugar is the last thing you need when you’re wobbling anyway) as did much cooking or, indeed, taking much pleasure in food.  (Sorry for the melodrama – can you understand why I didn’t post now?)
 
I haven’t weighed myself in a while but from the feel of clothes and suchlike I think it is all relatively stable but I’ve not been eating particularly well and that is stupid, because one of the best things to do for your mental health is to ensure that your diet and fitness are on point.  So that leads me to reason the third why I’ve been a bit reluctant to blog.  I’ve decided to go back to WW for a bit.
 
I know that I swore off it and I truly believe that, in the longer term, intermittent fasting will enable me to maintain my weight without being a slave to the pointing and weighing and measuring.  But I also believe that just for now, a bit of structure, something to focus on, would be a Good Thing.  And if I can ditch a few pounds in the process it will be an Even Better Thing.  I don’t intend to be evangelical about it.  I will eat out and have nights off – life is too short to never eat another takeaway.  And I will continue to monitor the situation.  If the return doesn’t justify the effort well, then, I’ll stop.
 
I’ve already signed up for the app and will be going to my first meeting tonight.  I’m intrigued about the new plan – it seems to be edging ever closer to Slimming World with more zero point foods – including lean poultry, fish, eggs and pulses.  I struggled initially when WW switched from Pro Points to Smart Points so it remains to be seen if the further changes make it more or less doable.  Regardless, a healthy project is just what I need at the moment to take my mind off my own navel. 

4 comments:

  1. Well I for one missed your posting greatly and checked in hopefully on a daily basis....

    I did wonder if you were in a wobble phase which might explain the quietness but am sorry to hear you have been having a tough time. It's obviously your choice but I would say never don't post because you think it might be boring. A) it won't be and b) if it helps you (which it usually does) who cares??!

    I'm absolutely useless when it comes to Anxiety except to say that your solution seems eminently sensible - sort out the physical, health issue then insert some structure into your life via WW. I hope it provides the focus you need to get back onto an even keel.

    (((((Big hugs)))))) Lxx

    PS. I love your turn of phrase "for reasons that are obscure even to you". I know it's a serious topic but like that you can be wry and amusing even then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lovely. The hugs are very much appreciated! I hope that I can soon be emulating your current success. xxx

      Delete
  2. You’re back! I’m so pleased to hear from you. Sorry to hear about the illness and Anxiety. Posting would not have been boring - but if it wasn’t right for you, that’s all that’s important.

    I look forward to finding out how WW works out for you.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. (And, believe me, it would have been utterly, utterly tedious.) xxx

      Delete