Tuesday 5 January 2016

I (do not) heart January


Very January-ish
What I would like to know is who the hell decided that the New Year should start in January?  January is the very, very worst month.  It’s grey and damp and dark and cold and there isn’t a single Bank Holiday on the horizon until Easter.  It is a time of year when no one wants to be getting all gung-ho about healthy eating plans and exercise regimes and productivity goals.  They want to be eating Toblerone on the sofa while catching up on The Bridge or reading their way through the pile of paperbacks that they got for Christmas. 

Just me?  Really?

I want to make 2016 a good year, I really do, but I also want it to start in kind of mid March / April time, when the weather is improving and it is not dark ALL THE TIME and I can remember what it feels like to go out and not have to worry about my hair frizzing up in the damp. 

Still, they don’t let the likes of me decide the calendar.  And so, to tackle January head on.  Yesterday, being the first day back to school was the first day when I actually troubled myself to count points.  I have, for the time being at least, broken away from the official Weight Watchers fold and decided to stick with their (now obsolete) pro points plan, which I have always found works well for me.  If this becomes too difficult then, obviously, I’ll have a rethink.  But thinking, specifically, is what I DON’T want to have to do too much of at the moment, so the devil I know is the preferred option.

Being no longer bound by the Rules of the Gods of WW, I found that I got to the end of the day with 10 points leftover but still, I stopped eating.  WW decrees that you MUST eat ALL your daily points every day or your body will enter STARVATION MODE.  Frankly, after the amount of calories I’ve consumed over the last couple of weeks, I imagine that my system was relieved to have an ease up.  I don’t intend to make a habit of it, but neither do I think it will do significant harm every now and then.  And I woke up this morning actually feeling hungry, which was nice for a change.

I’m not going to set any lofty goals for 2016.  I think, in general, to aim to have more good days than bad is enough.  I would also like to end it lighter and fitter than when I started.  But I would also like to end it richer and happier and cleverer and…with better hair.  I just need to get through January first.

3 comments:

  1. That's one of the things I wished (well.. still do): to have more good days than bad. But I'm putting even more effort into MAKING my days good. 5 good days out of 366, and tomorrow will be number 6. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very right - and what an amazing start you have made! Well done! x

      Delete
  2. I'm all in favour of the Serengian Calendar - you have my vote!

    And yes to Toblerone and reading. So, so yes. *wistful sigh*

    Px

    ReplyDelete