Monday 9 July 2012

Meal Planning Monday - 9th July 2012


And there it was gone. The weekend, that is. How was it for you? Despite the dire weather predictions we managed to eat ice cream in the sunshine on Saturday afternoon and yesterday cooked Sunday lunch for my father in law, a slow roast shoulder of lamb to die for (recipe to follow). All in all, very pleasant indeed.

So, on with this week’s meal plan. And in a shock development, I’m actually at home all week! No gallivanting whatsoever.

Tonight we’ll be having a chicken and summer vegetable pot pie with mash. Pot pie, I have recently learned, is what you call it when your pie just has a pastry lid but no walls. Aka dieter’s pie or less-fun pie.

Over the next three nights in no particular order:

  • Spaghetti bolognese, made with lamb mince and the rich, delicious, tomatoey gravy left over from our lamb shoulder roast at the weekend.
  • Spiced couscous with griddled halloumi and a warm salad of courgettes and broad beans.
  • Salmon gnocchi bake. We’ve got some frozen salmon in the, er, freezer which isn’t really nice enough to eat just as a fillet but will be fine in this kind of thing. I first saw this recipe mentioned on another MPM post so, whoever you are, I thank you! I adore gnocchi.
Friday night we’re out for the evening, Saturday we’re off to the parentals for a fishy barbecue and Sunday….hmmm. We might end up picking at leftovers, or I might buy a chicken to roast to provide D with the basis for some meals next week while I’m away (again). So, undecided. But hey, this is more of a plan then I’ve managed for a while so I’m pretty pleased. For more meal planning fun, as ever, scoot over to Mrs M’s.

7 comments:

  1. I do the salmon and gnocchi bake and have a recipe on my blog for it :) I think it was me!

    Sounds yum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, thank you for that! Am really looking forward to it!

      Sx

      Delete
  2. I love halloumi, squeaky cheese :D so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm, halloumi is great. You've got to like any food that squeaks :-))

      Sx

      Delete
  3. The spiced couscous etc. sounds nice! Do you have a recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabby! I'm kind of pinching bits of different recipes from here and there, but if it works out well then I will write it up.

      Sx

      Delete
  4. I have never eaten halloumi cheese yet I think I would love it. Chicken pot pies always remind me of America - although they're so big they couldn't be classed at "diet friendly" !!!! Have a great week lovely xxxx

    ReplyDelete