Monday 30 July 2012

I’m back, baby. Kind of.

After two solid weeks in the wilderness – Lincoln then Essex via Surrey and back to Lincoln again – I am home and slowly, gradually getting myself back into routine. Well, I say that, but I’m off again this week for a few days so this meal planning entry will be on the short side - but at least it sort of kind of exists.

This blog hasn’t been very Weight Watchery lately for the very good reason that I haven’t been very Weight Watchery myself. Weight Watchers, like pretty much any eating plan, works but only if you put in the time and commitment. At the beginning of the year, when I was planning and tracking and exercising, the weight came off with relative ease. Life has got in the way, as life has a habit of doing. But I take heart from the fact that I have pretty much managed to maintain through some stressful times and that when things settle down again, as will happen very soon now, I’ll be able to start again with renewed vigour.

 I have thought about this a lot over the last few months. I have spent so much of my adult life on a “diet” that part of me wants to throw the towel in and say, ok, I may not be slim but I’m healthy and happy and being a size 10 isn’t the be all and end all. But do you know what I’ve realised? I don’t want to throw in the towel. Yes, I’m happy (and considering I spent a considerable amount of time in my twenties being very unhappy this is excellent progress). But I would be even happier if I were more confident in my appearance. And yes, I’m healthy at the moment, but I’d be stupid to assume that I will always be so lucky, and extra weight puts unnecessary strain on my body.

 I am pleased that I have learned to count my blessings. I don’t think the girl who wrote the first few entries on this blog was very good at that. I am pleased that I no longer tie up all my self worth with my size. But I do not want to go gently into the good night of plump middle age just yet.

 Anyway. A cursory amount of meal planning this week.

 
  • Classic lasagne – this has been popping up on a few meal planning blogs lately and given me quite the fancy for it.
  • Chicken mini roasts with roast potatoes and seasonal veg.
  • Chilli and lime crusted salmon with…well, it’s supposed to be lentils but it may well be new potatoes since I’ve got some that need using up.
 That takes us through to the weekend at least, and then, if the weather holds, I quite fancy a classic barbecue…pass the Pimms!

As always, pop over to Mrs M’s for more meal planning fun (and probably considerably less navel gazing).

 

4 comments:

  1. Salmon is a fav nomnom! The mini roasts sounds delicious too. Hope you have a good week. Stick with it and the weight will come off in time... that's what I keep telling myself! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I liked fish. I always think it looks pretty and I love all the flavours that go with it, I just can not swallow it. I have tried countless times with different sorts. Oh yes please to Pimms. Not had that for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm doing weightwatchers too - like you say, it comes off fairly easily as long as you plan and stay focused, and that's not always easy! Your salmon sounds yummy - may have to go and check that one out...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But I do not want to go gently into the good night of plump middle age just yet" - love this. And I find when I relax,that just translates more into lax - ie I just start being a bit too naughty and thinking 'oh go on then'.

    Px

    ReplyDelete