Friday 17 August 2018

Friday miscellany

I have been dieting for...well, pretty much my entire adult like and I STILL cannot decide whether or not daily weighing is a good thing or a bad thing. 

I like that it is a mini resolve boost every morning.  But it doesn't matter how much I tell myself that day to day fluctuations are unimportant, that it is the overall trajectory that is the key, if the number goes up and there is no good reason for it, it sticks in my bloody throat.  I was up 0.6 lbs this morning despite that fact I was a point under my dailies yesterday AND did over 12,000 steps.  I KNOW that I did not suddenly acquire half a pound of fat somewhere, that it was one of those little fluctuations that happen perfectly naturally, but you try telling my puny little monkey brain that.  It's throwing a tantrum and demanding a bacon roll to cheer itself up.  Sigh. 

**

Speaking of daily points - I haven't even lost a stone yet and I've already dropped two points from my daily allowance, such that I am now on the very lowest one.  The weeklies will be next to go - and they disappear in chunks of seven.  My leader...sorry, coach we are supposed to call them now...tells me it is a GOOD THING when you lose points because it means that you're doing something right.  I beg to differ.

**

Did I tell you that I've signed up to do a 5k race in December?  Let's pause and let that sink in a second.  Me.  Running 5k.  In public.  With a number pinned to my chest.  Well, not my actual chest but...

I decided that it had to be done and so I picked a Christmas themed race, along a flat route, where entrants are promised mulled wine and chocolate baubles at the end.  I plan to wear reindeer ears (cooler than a Santa hat.  Not cooler as in down-with-the-kids cool but cooler in the actual sense).  But I'm still at the stage where the thought of doing it makes me laugh nervously.  I'm well on with the Couch to 5k, so I should be completely ready in three months times but..hahahahahahaha.

**

Current fad: flavour infused coffees.  This one, which I bought from Holland and Barrett, is delicious:



They don't contain any calories or sugar so, unsurprisingly, are not very sweet.  If you're expecting a full on mocha effect you may be disappointed.  But a really pleasant way of zuzzing (is that how you spell it) up one's morning coffee when one is trying to avoid the siren call of the Starbucks just next door to the office.  I've currently got one by Beanies, a chocolate cherry flavour, which I don't think is quite as good and is slightly more expensive, but they have a much larger range and I can't help thinking that gingerbread infused coffee would be perfect come December time.  You know, a few months down the line when we're talking about Christmas and I'm PREPARING TO RUN 5K IN PUBLIC.  Yeah, then.

**

Happy weekend tout le monde!!!

7 comments:

  1. Merveilleux!! Great news re the 5km. I hope you enjoy it and you will be FINE!!

    Daily weighing definitely better for my devious chimp. The only way I can keep her onside and focussed. But I do know the feeling when you get a bad or good result - that bacon sandwich feeling!

    Which run are you doing??

    All the best hon. Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called the Leeds Liverpool Christmas Cracker and it's along the canal towpath so it should be nice and flat! But I did, literally, just pick it on the basis of promises of mulled wine and chocolate!! I do not think that I am a true runner yet..! x

      Delete
  2. Amazing on the 5K... you will *totally* be able to do it.

    I just found out my weight for the first time in three years. (I went to an NHS health check, specifically asked not to be told, and then she said: "Well, it's better than last time" and proceeded to hand me a sheet that listed the number. (Which, for the record, was higher than I thought it would be, though it was 6.30 pm, I was wearing jeans and trainers, and had drunk heaven knows how much liquid by then.) And it is driving me absolutely bananas. I simultaneously want to eat everything *and* make the number go down. A long way of saying: I personally do better when I don't obsess about a number. I get that sometimes the accountability is necessary, but in general, I kind of know when I'm trending in the right direction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting perspective. I think I'm worried that I'm out of touch enough with my body that I genuinely wouldn't know if I was gaining or losing - or genuinely would be able to delude myself. Not sure that's actually the case though, and if you are clued up enough to know which way the wind (or the scales) are blowing without getting het up by an actual number, well, I think there is an awful lot to be said for it.

      Delete
  3. As you well know, I am inclined to a total hissy fit when I have a run in with SoD. So I absolutely know how you feel. Hope your version if SoD apologises and repents soon.

    5k run! Well, good for you! Love the reindeer antlers running gear.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As above, the ONLY reason that I'm doing it is for booze and chocolate. And, obviously, wearing novelty Christmas headgear. Don't think that anyone is going to mistake me for a genuine sporty person :)

      Delete
    2. And I’m STILL impressed. I couldn’t/wouldn’t!

      Delete