Monday 19 November 2018

MPM: 19th November 2018

Gah! I can’t believe that I have got to the end of another week and STILL have two Venice posts to finish not to mention various other half done drafts sitting in my blogger feed to sort out. Hands up - life seems a little bit of a struggle at the moment. Work is challenging - good, but challenging and very full on - and I get home in the evening and weekends and am so drained that I don’t want to do anything much but lie around, stroke the cat and binge on Netflix. I wish that I was one of those people who thrive on wholesome hobbies and think my goal for next year must be to try and make my life outside of work a little bit fuller. It’s probably one of those things, like exercise, that feels overwhelming to start with, but when you get into the routine you reap the positive rewards.

Anyhoo, at the very least I can manage a meal planning post. I’m looking forward to the eats this week:

Monday: shepherds’ pie. Bumped from last week, as I write this (on Sunday evening) the mince is bubbling away in the slow cooker so all I need to do tomorrow is sort out the mash for the top and the veg for the side.

Tuesday: ham, eggs and Piperade from this lovely recipe.

Wednesday: D is out for lunch, so we’re going to keep things fairly light for tea and just have a nice pot of soup. However, I’ve been having a bit of a yen for soda bread recently, so I may knock up some to go on the side.

Thursday: a fennel gratin with an orange zest and pine nut crust, served with a fennel seed pilaf. Thank you, Nigel Slater.

Friday: a beef rendang . We’ll be making use of the slow cooker again so all we have to do on Friday evening is cook some rice to go on the side.

Saturday: D has requested a Szechuan red braised pork belly which sounds delicious.

Sunday: roast chicken with various trimmings.

Have a wonderful week everyone, and happy eating! Oooh, and Peridot, enjoy Fantastic Beasts and be sure to let me know what you think!

4 comments:

  1. The gratin sounds amazing - I love fennel. And I might have a go at the rendang. P makes an excellent one but not in the slow cooker so it would be good to try a different version. And I love soda bread. It's also the best bread for a smoked salmon sandwich in my book.

    Px

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fennel, which we eventually ate this evening, with roast chicken and pilaf, was fantastic. Not diet friendly in the least with all that cream but seriously tasty. Highly recommended.

      Delete
  2. Oh - and film.

    I did enjoy it even though I had a seat so close and at the far corner of the screen that it messed up the perspective (and my eyes). P fell asleep 3 times and declared it "too Disney". I think I need to see it again - and not be having to keep checking whether someone is asleep and needs nudging before snoring breaks out! And ideally not someone who audibly rolls his eyes at regular intervals!

    Px

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a shame - we enjoyed it a lot. I’ve seen a number of reviews saying it;concentrates too much on setting up future storylines but surely in film 2 of 5 that is to be expected?

      Delete