Wednesday 28 November 2018

How to cook sushi rice



I’m about to throw an empty packet away, and with it the instructions that I’ve been using to cook sushi rice. What is this blog, I asked myself, but an online kitchen scrapbook and thus the perfect place to make a note of it all. Thus:

Step 1. Weight out 100g rice. This is enough for two people as long as they’re pretending to be ok with WW’s idea of a portion.

Step 2. Cover the rice in cold water and swirl it around a bit. The water will go quite cloudy. Drain into a sieve. Consider repeating the process three or four times as instructed but instead decide to run cold water over the rice in the sieve, stirring lightly with your hand. After a minute or so of this, the water should run clear.

Step 3: Tip rice into saucepan and pour over 130 ml cold water. Bring to a simmer then cover and cook for 10 mins. Turn the heat off and leave for a further 25 mins. Do not remove the lid during this time.

Step 4: Meanwhile, combine a tbsp rice wine vinegar with 2 tsp sugar and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved.

Step 5: When the time is up, remove the lid and stir through the vinegar-sugar combo and a tiny pinch of salt (the salt is not specified on the packet but I find it wakes up the sweet sourness of the other additions).

Step 6: Serve - topped with whatever your little heart desires.

3 comments:

  1. I have just made one of your recipes! It is in the oven so cannot yet report on how it turned out but it is smelling tasty. The red lentil, courgette and cheese loaf. At @1k calories per loaf I'm hoping it will be a tasty addition to my repertoire. I can't tell you how many of your recipes I have intended to cook (even bought ingredients for etc) but I think this is the first one that has made it from intention to actuality!! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lesley, I hope you like it! I never post anything on here that I haven’t cooked but still. Feed back! Also - happy weekend gorgeous :-) x x x

      Delete
  2. I actually bought a small rice cooker - and I have to say, I'm really pleased with it.

    Also keen to hear how Lesley got on with the loaf! Sounds yummy - I'm a relatively late adopter of lentils and all the keener to make up for lost time!

    Px

    ReplyDelete