Friday 28 December 2012

2012: the food what I ate

2012 may not have been a vintage year for weight loss (ha! What else is new - Ed) (brief pause to stab Editor with a sharpened bread stick) but, as always, I ate some jolly good food.

It was a year where two of the most memorable dishes I consumed were sandwiches; the lobster roll at Burger and Lobster:


And the monster Reuben at Mishkins:


Which confirms to me a truth always half suspected - sandwiches are probably the best foodstuff in the world.

We didn't do an awful lot of "fayne dayning" this year but I was still fortunate to sample some amazing food in some amazing restaurants. Both of my favourite posh-nosh dishes contain one of my all time favourite ingredients, sea bass. Perhaps in 2013 some sort of sea bass sandwich is in order?? There was this little beauty of a plate at Le Gavroche: sea bass with red rice, braised fennel and North African spices:


And then, at my beloved Star Inn, a pan fried fillet with crispy spiced whitebait and a foaming bisque:


If we're talking seafood, then the unfailing amazingness of the produce in Ardnamurchan deserves a special mention:


And finally, I have to show you what may well be the prettiest pudding of the year - nay, ever:


Again from the Star Inn - a chocolate plate par excellence.

Let us hope that 2013 brings more sandwiches! More seafood! More chocolate! And more amazing memories.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah....more GOOD food is in order!!

    I hope 2013 brings you all you want in food and non-food terms.

    Lesley xx

    ReplyDelete