Friday, 9 October 2026

A feast of haggis

Writing this blog used to bring me so much joy, I don't really know why I stopped. Well, perhaps I realised that it was 2026 and no one really blogs anymore, so you don't get that wonderful sense of community that used to exist. I am far too old, and far too protective of my privacy to want to do anything on TikTok or Insta (I use the latter to post pictures of cats and food but that's about it). But WIEIAD posts seem to be very popular over there so it's a bit of a shame that the concept of a blog has kind of gone out of fashion - I'd far rather read a post than watch a video. Hey, I'm old!

Anyway. I am going to try and post more regularly, just as something for me. Because I do still love talking about food, although not so much about weight loss anymore. Maybe I'll talk about that more another time.

We're not long back from a ten day trip around Scotland which included visiting some new places as we did a sort-of version of the North Coast 500 (basically driving around the far North Coast which is STUNNING) but then we came back inland and visited a couple of favourite places - a stop off in Inveraray and then a couple of nights in Glasgow.

Reader, I ate a lot of haggis. And I discovered a new favourite thing. Behold, the haggis rarebit! I had this in two different places and this one, in a random cafĂ© in  a small town called Lochgilphead was just wonderful. As rich as it sounds.


I also dragged D to a pub in Glasgow because I really, really wanted to have a haggis, neeps and tatties pie. Which came with beans. Haggis and beans is superlative.


Of course, because it is us, we managed a couple of...well, higher end for want of a better phrase (although I detest food snobbery and don't necessarily think if something is more expensive it is automatically more delicious). At Inver, on the shores of Loch Fyne, we had a fermented turnip broth which, I promise you was one of the loveliest things I think that I have ever eaten. It's quite hard to explain just how wonderful it was. We complained to the waiter that the portion was too small. 

Oh, and saw dolphins. Non-food related, but magical.


No comments:

Post a Comment