Tuesday 1 September 2020

Back to skool

Ah, is there anything sadder than a little blog with no recent posts, left to fester by a careless owner?  Given we still find ourselves in 2020 (aka the worst year of the twenty first century so far and that is in the face of some fairly stiff competition) the answer to that is, probably, an emphatic yes.  But it is a vaguely tragic sight nonetheless.  Especially if the last post is innocuous and cheerful and doesn't refer to a planner period of absence.  There are many of these Last Posts scattered around the internet and I always wonder what happened to the writers.

Of course, blogging is not really the done thing anymore, so probably all that happened is they wandered off and did something else.  Someone whose own blog I used to quite enjoy tweeted as much recently.  So there you go, they're Tweeting and Instagram Story-ing and...Tik-Tok-ing?  I have no experience of this latter medium and think it best that it stays that way.  Of stories and tweets...all very well, but when did everything get so short?  Does no one want to luxuriate in proper sentences anymore?  Are our opinions and innermost thoughts of such levels of profundity that they can so easily be distilled into a slightly gormless selfie and ten word caption?  Or is it just that we're all becoming more banal?  As someone who has always favoured fifty words when only one will do, I mourn the passing of the full length blog post in favour of such ephemera.  Although note, too, that the older I get the more banal I seem to become.  Sigh.

Anyway, what's new with you?  Everyone thoroughly confused as to whether we're still in lockdown or not?  Everyone completely lost track of the rules (that didn't make sense in the first place)?  Excellent!  Here chez Seren we went to my parents' house at the weekend which was lovely and the first time I've spent more than five minutes in the company of someone other than my husband in nearly six months (the cat doesn't really count). And we've booked a night in Whitby in a couple of week's time but we're not sure whether or not we will do anything beyond sit in the courtyard outside our little room and drink wine.  But at least we'll be drinking wine somewhere different, so that's good.  I think we two definitely err on the nervous end of caution, but heigh ho.  

We've kept up with plenty of cooking so I will definitely share some food posts as part of my homework for September.  I also had Thoughts when I passed a new NHS poster about making diet swaps the other day and considered a ranty post about how extremely patronising it is to overweight people to assume that they don't know that they should eat carrots rather than crisps, as if they've lost IQ points in inverse proportion to gaining pounds.  In this day and age, the day and age of Information, we all know exactly what we should be doing.  But some can't afford to do it and some do not possess the mental fortitude to make life more bloody miserable than it already is.  Then I decided that the world does not need more keyboard warriors spouting their Thoughts, so decided not to bother.

2 comments:

  1. My little blog is also unattended sadly. I miss it and my blog pals so will try again. Wondering if you have heard anything of Amanda? Lxx

    ReplyDelete